This Week's Learning
This Week's Learning
This week, we will be continuing our jungle theme by exploring the text 'The Parrot Tico Tango' by Anna Witte. This rhyming, musical story is all about a rather greedy parrot who learns an important lesson about sharing. It allows us to explore tango music, tropical fruits and the importance of sharing with our friends.
As part of this learning, we will be:
- Tasting tropical fruits, finding out where they come from and writing down our responses to them
- Exploring tango music, playing instruments, creating our own rhythms and learning some tango dance moves!
- Writing our own jungle stories with a repeating structure like The Parrot Tico Tango has
- Finding out about the importance of sharing with our friends and playing lots of sharing games
- Explore the idea of a 'bird's eye view' by looking at maps, photographs, Google Earth and creating our own bird's eye view artwork of jungles and of our classroom
- Creating colourful jungle artwork inspired by the bright colours of parrots, flowers and tropical fruits
In Phonics we will be continuing our Phase 4 learning and focusing on reading CVCC (consonant, vowel, consonant, consonant) and CCVC (consonant, consonant, vowel, consonant) words with four letters. We will also be working on reading longer chunks of texts (i.e. whole paragraphs) and being able to talk about what we have read and what it tells us, developing our comprehension skills.
In Maths we will be continuing our learning about subtraction. This week we will be taking last week's practical activities and learning how to record these as written calculations which we call 'number sentences' e.g. 5 - 2 = 3. We will also be using the opportunity of this week's focus text to allow us to explore sharing equally. In the book, the parrot shares the fruit equally between his friends so we will be exploring amounts between our friends equally too!
In RE, we are continuing our learning about special places by finding out about Synagogues. We will be comparing a Synagogue to a Church and finding out about these special religious places for people who are Jewish. We will be talking about why places of worship are special and why we should all respect these special places for the people who worship there.
In PSHE, we are continuing our learning about rights and responsibilities by thinking about how we can be helpful and take on different responsibilities at home and at school to help those around us.