“We do not want art for a few, no more than we want education for a few or freedom for a few”
- William Morris
Art & Design at Cookley Primary – Vision and Aims
At Cookley Sebright Primary School we value the importance of the arts provision to nurture the whole child. We believe that it allows each individual to use their imagination to inspire their creativity through formal and informal opportunities, take risks in their making and extend their cultural understanding. This will promote enjoyable, memorable learning experiences and develop an individual’s spiritual, moral, social and cultural understanding of the world in which they live. We use Kapow Primary - Art & Design to ensure full and progressive coverage of the Art & Design curriculum from Year 1 to Year 6.
Aims and Objectives
The aims of Art and Design at Cookley Sebright Primary School are to:
· Stimulate creativity and imagination to enable children to express their ideas, thoughts and feelings through practical experience in a variety of 2 and 3 dimensional media.
· To support children in understanding and appreciating art from a variety of cultures, styles and periods of time.
· Promote children’s enjoyment of Art through a broad and balanced curriculum which builds on previous work and achievements through formal and informal opportunities.
· Enable children to develop means of organising ideas and expressing thoughts and feelings and record, communicate and express these ideas in different ways.
· Extend and broaden the children’s knowledge of the arts by exploring a wide range of artists, sculptors and architects.
· Develop children’s spiritual, moral, social and cultural development through thought provoking activities and time for self reflection.
· Develop critical thinking and discuss their own work and the work of others using appropriate vocabulary.
· Value and respect their own work and the work of others.
We regard art as an important subject because:
· Artistic creation can provide fulfilment throughout life.
· Artistic observation can heighten perceptions.
· Art can contribute to cultural understanding.