The aims of Art and Design are:
- To foster an understanding and enjoyment of art, craft and design.
- To provide all children with a broad and balanced education
- To learn about art and the appreciation of the work of other artists and crafts people from different times and cultures.
- To learn through Art, extending and enriching other curriculum areas.
- To develop children’s ability to observe, investigate, respond to and record the world around them through a variety of forms and media.
- To make increasingly informed and creative choices of media, tools and techniques for a given purpose.
- To develop their visual language and the ability to express their ideas and feelings in order to evaluate their own work and that of others.
- To deliver the National Curriculum by integrating the elements of art with the processes and practises of art to provide a broad and balanced art curriculum throughout each year.
- To integrate the two strands of the National Curriculum, investigating and making and knowledge and understanding, wherever possible.
- To train children in the safe and appropriate use and maintenance of tools and techniques in accordance with health and safety requirements.
A guide to safe practice in Art and Design